Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What I have been up to lately and Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits

I haven't really told anyone about this blog yet so I guess I should...

I've had an eventful past few weeks, once I have an actual camera I will make much more of an effort to take pictures.  Until then, you will have to let my eloquent literary tour de force tell the story for you ;P

I went to New York with my parents and cousin who was visiting from Kansas.  We went to the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, and Times Square.  I have to admit, I love doing those so called touristy things, even though I've done them all a few times before.  As we were leaving, we decided to go to a random brewery AKA beer and fried food overload, I have no regrets in saying that it was absolutely amazing!

Fried pickles



Cheese fries

and we finished it off with some apricot wheat beer.. a perfect beginner and chaser to all of the fried food!

The next weekend, I went to Pittsburgh to visit friends, register for classes, figure out my field placement (another word for internship), and see my new apartment.  For those of you who don't know, I am moving to Pittsburgh to attend the University of Pittsburgh for my MSW in less than a month! I am very excited. 

My friend showed me around and we actually went to the gym (even though what we ate afterwards was completely counterproductive)! It has a cinema room that shows movies as you work out.  It is pretty awesome.  We also went to this really cool bar named Haufenbraus (I think that's how you spell it) and got some amazing beer and german food:

Potato Pancakes with applesauce and sour cream.


beer cheese blend dipping sauce (the best) I can't remember what the other dipping sauces were.  They were all for...

This HUGE soft pretzel, so good!

We also went to the melting pot.  I wish I could live there.

Wisconsin cheese fondue <3


 
Moving on, I registered for classes the next day and was very productive despite the total food hangover.  I have an amazing class schedule with all of my first choice classes and no classes on Thursday or Friday.  I'm doing my placement at Fresenius Dialysis Center.  My apartment is also really nice, I can't wait to post pictures after I have it all set up.

Last weekend I relaxed, went to a pool party, started reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett, and made these Red Lobster inspired cheddar biscuits:



The recipe is super easy, and the biscuits taste EXACTLY like the ones from Red Lobster! all you need is:

1 small bag of the bisquick cheddar biscuit mix
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (if you're not a big cheese fan, put in less)
1/2 stick of butter
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
dried parsley or basil to sprinkle on the top

Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheight
Line a tray with parchment paper or else they will stick!
Combine biscuit mix, water, and cheese.  Add a little bit more water if it is still dry.
Put biscuits in oven for 5 minutes
As you're waiting for the biscuits to bake, add butter, salt, and garlic powder to a sauce pan.  Melt and stir until combined.
After the biscuits have been in the oven for 5 minutes, take them out of the oven and spoon the melted butter/garlic/salt mixture over each one.  If you have a pastry brush, brush the mixture over the biscuit.
Sprinkle dried parsley or basil over the biscuits.
Put in the oven for at least 5 more minutes and continue to check on them until they are lightly browned.

Makes 6 large biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment